Orthodontic Treatment for Adults
Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens. In fact, about 30% of the patients in our office are adults. Many adults are choosing treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance.
Common reasons why adults are considering orthodontic treatment
- Quite simply, a better smile to boost your professional and social life
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly leading to tooth decay or gum disease
- A bite that doesn’t fit together properly
Treatment Options for Adults
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from seeking treatment. However, today’s orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Our options include:
- Invisalign® clear aligner treatment
- Clear ceramic braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Traditional metal braces
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens
The main difference between treating adults and children or teens is that the jawbones of younger patients are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, but that doesn’t mean you cannot still get a great result. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession due to gum problems. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time, teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, and create a bad bite.
- Retreating teeth that were straightened as a child — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but now they are no longer wearing a retainer and teeth have shifted. No need to worry: This is common and we can help get that smile back again!
Our practice also recognizes that adults and children have different needs, and require different levels of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure you receive the most appropriate treatments, and your needs are met with understanding and respect from us.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment for yourself?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, which gives you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term teeth issues that cost more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our practice to schedule an appointment. We understand you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.